More and Less are more or less equal. But Less provides more options then more. So Less is more then more.
less — Filter for paging through text one screen full at a time.
It is a filter for showing the text in page by page format to user. It supports number of commands for screen operations and preprocessing. Less will show big files in faster manner.
$ less myfile -- Show the file content in page by page format. $ less -c myfile -- Clear the screen before showing next screen. $ less -q myfile -- Exit after 2nd time reaches end-of-file. $ less -G myfile -- High-lite all searched strings. $ less -pMail myfile -- Start at the 1st occurrence of pattern Mail $ less -P%B myfile -- Last line prompt will show the file size. $ less xyz.rpm -- RPM file infos. $ less xyz.tar -- List all files in the tar file. $ less xyz.zip -- List all files in the Zip file.
- Press q to exit from less.
- Press ! to execute the shell command
- Press !! to rerun the last shell command
- Press ^l to refresh the screen.
- Press /pattern for search.
- User can write own preprocessing script by editing lesspipe.sh.
- User can build own key mapping by running lesskey command.
- If env variable LESSSECURE is set to 1, then it runs in “Secure” mode. Shell, Pipe, Examine and Editing command are disabled.
- Less will not read entire file content in 1st read.
Read: man less