After no of controversial statements from HTC about Gingerbread update for Desire model, finally in Aug 2011, the manually upgradeable image released. No OTA upgrade and this release is not for normal user. I upgraded my HTC Desire with Ginger Bread release. No Major Issues.
- Phone/SMS – OK
- 3G – OK
- Wi-Fi – OK
- HTC Sense – OK
- FM Radio – OK
- Camera – OK
- Wi-Fi Hot Spot – OK
NOTE: Read the warning text posted by HTC.
Steps to Upgrade:
- Sadly the upgrade process needs a Windows Machine 😦
- Download the Ginger Bread Image from HTDdev Site (http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads)
- Download the HTC Sync from HTC Site
- Enable the HTC Sync Mode: Settings => Connect to PC => Connection Type => HTC Sync
- Start HTC Sync Tool. You should be able to see your phone on that
- Unrar (HTC_Desire_Android_2.3_Upgrade.rar)
- Unzip (HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade.zip)
- Run (RUU_HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade (Gingerbread).exe)
- Upgrade process will take 15mins.
- After this process, reboot and configure the settings.
- SD Card is not touched by upgrade process
- SIM is not touched by upgrade process
- You loose the following:
- Apps & Configs/Settings
- Contacts saved in phone memory
- SMS saved in phone memory