Today, Google released the next version of the Android Platform for developer access. In this release, the Android Team merged the UI part of the tablet and mobile to provide unified user experience. Some of the new features:
- Unified UI toolkit: A single set of UI components, styles, and capabilities for phones, tablets, and other devices.
- Rich communication and sharing: New social and calendar APIs, Android Beam for NFC-based instant sharing, Wi-Fi Direct support, Bluetooth Health Device Profile support.
- Deep interactivity and customization: Improved notifications, lockscreen with camera and music controls, and improved app management in the launcher.
- New graphics, camera, and media capabilities: Image and video effects, precise camera metering and face detection, new media codecs and containers.
- Interface and input: Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing, new grid-based layout, improved soft keyboard, spell-checker API, stylus input support, and better mouse support.
- Improved accessibility: New accessibility APIs and text-to-speech APIs for writing new engines.
- Enhancements for enterprise: Keychain and VPN APIs for managing credentials and connections, a new administrator policy for disabling the camera.
To install the new Ice Cream Sandwitch image, SDK Tooks and ADT Plug-in must upgraded to latest version. Just upgraded and installed the new SDK, complete change in the SDK Manager UI, Emulator supports in-built laptop camera, UI looking nice, more control for developer and lot of improvement in applications.
NOTE: By default, the USB debugging is disabled in the in emulator. You have enable this, to make it accessible thru ADB or from Eclipse IDE.
Hope, unlike Honeycomb, this version source code will be released as the old versions. Waiting … 🙂